Summer, Summer, Summer Time!

May 30, 2018

Can you feel it?  The days are getting longer, greenery is everywhere, and it’s beginning to look and feel a lot like summer! Summer is my favorite time of the year.  Living in the Midwest, winters can be long and brutal.  Days start to feel endless, and old man winter always seems to have the last laugh.  When I can finally say goodbye to the cold days, I feel my mood and energy instantly shift to happiness and peace.

With summer fast approaching {T-Minus 2 days for us here}, comes another part that many mom’s don’t look so forward to… B R E A K.  Yep, school is out for the summer!  Which leaves many mom’s in a frantic state, wondering what and how they can keep their kids busy, and their own minds sane for the next several weeks.  I have talked with many mom’s, who have shared that they just can’t handle the chaos.  Some send their kids off to summer camp, others fill up on every and any summer community activitiy they can find.  Maybe even still using daycare for an emergency outlet.

However, I am here to let you in on a little secret… summer break can be F U N!  It doesn’t have to be filled with crazy, unruly children, hanging from the dining room chandiler. Or, kitchen counters splattered with milk, and piles of cereal that missed the bowls for breakfast. I have learned some great things on how to stay sane & have fun, while the kiddos are off for the summer.

Below I will share with you exactly how I plan out our summer’s.  Tips that have helped me, and hopefully will help you, too!

34046297_586788415038372_7556336238177812480_o.jpg

T I P # 1: Find a daily themed schedule that works for you.  Every year I like to change things up, and select different theme days.  This helps take the monotony out of expecting the same thing year after year.  Some days do remain the same, such as the Friday Family Fun Day.  This is because these days are one’s where I plan a fun activity, that is always something different. Click below for our summer daily schedule.

Summer Schedule

T I P #2: Utilize FREE/CHEAP community events, hosted throughout the summer.  This is so helpful in keeping the kids entertained.  Depending on where you live, and how big of a community; you’d be surprised to find the amount of things offered during summer break.

Some of our favorites are:

1. Our local library who hosts an amazing summer reading program, along with a variety of activities.  The kids always look forward to it every summer.
  2. Movie Theatre – Summer movie series.  I have seen more and more theatre’s partcipate in these fun, and cheap kid movie days.  They typically are held weekly, mid-morning, and tickets are around $1-$2.  A bag of popcorn, and some drinks, and this makes for a great in-expensive outing!
  3. Town water parks often have cheap or discounted rates, for those who live in the community.  I found over a handful of days throughout the summer, where admission was as little as $2.50/pp.
  4. Park & Rec activties.  I absolutley love our park & rec!  They are constantly putting out free and fun opportunities, to bring the community together.  A new one for our summer this year, is something called Rec on the go!  They will travel to local parks, and bring arts & crafts, sports, and games for everyone to get involved in.  How cool is that?
  5. Visiting all the different parks we can find!  Who doesn’t love a good playground day?  It lets the kids burn off all their energy, while mom can connect with other mom’s, or have a bit of peace to herself.  Maybe, if feeling adventerous, you’ll find your inner fun and join your kids, too!

T I P # 3: Print off a monthly & weekly calendar, to write out your plans and activities to help stay organized and in routine.  Pinterest is my go-to for free printable goodies!  Below I have linked the two calenders I enjoy using to plan our summer out.

‘This Week’ Printable

Monthly Summer Calendar

Using these few tips, definitley will help fill up those long summer days!  Make sure to stay tuned throughout the summer, as I share our days with you.  Also be sure to follow me over on Pinterest! for inspiring ideas, and activities for summer fun.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Until Next Time…
signature-fonts

24 Comments

• Kristin

May 30, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Love this! We love our events here in Carlsbad Village. Especially because we can walk into town! And with three kids it’s hard to keep a good schedule during the summer. Especially with bedtime!!

1. lifewithtwinsplus2

May 30, 2018 at 11:15 pm

I don’t do a strict routine, since it is summer. But, I do like having some kind of idea, of what we are going to do each day. Helps keep our days moving. 😊

• The Coffee Mom (@Jessi_Sullivan)

May 30, 2018 at 10:59 pm

I really love summer! Maybe b/c I’m used to the kids being home with me though since my oldest will be going into Kindergarten and my youngest isn’t quite 2 yet. Finding free local events is always good to do and they are usually so much fun!

1. lifewithtwinsplus2

May 30, 2018 at 11:17 pm

I have been at home for 7 years now. Summer is always my favorite! I look forward to the time we can spend all together, and creating fun memories! 🙂

• bestcapturedblog

May 30, 2018 at 11:05 pm

As a teacher this post was very interesting. These are great tips and ideas but I will say during the school year, spending every day listening to what the kids talk about with their friends, they really seek plain, simple attention and quality time with their families. Most of my kids rant and rave the most about the arts and crafts, fun experiences like cooking, or getting milkshakes with their Moms and other simple things like that. Enjoy these summer breaks! The time goes so quickly 🙂

1. lifewithtwinsplus2

May 30, 2018 at 11:18 pm

I agree! Our days have all of those things included. We spend lots of time together, and is why I enjoy summer break so much!

• Wander With Ola

May 31, 2018 at 12:55 am

Yeah I’m sooo excited for summer vacation (it’s always summer here in my country). What an interesting plan! Parks visits sound so fun! 🙂

1. lifewithtwinsplus2

May 31, 2018 at 1:07 am

I wish it was summer here all the time! 😉

• Saurav Purkayastha

May 31, 2018 at 5:33 am

I think these activities are quite beneficial for children, as they can learn a lot of other things which their school curriculum won’t teach.

• Yuli Armstrong

May 31, 2018 at 5:38 am

I homeschool. I really love your tips and your printouts 🙂 wonderful write up!

1. lifewithtwinsplus2

May 31, 2018 at 11:31 am

Thanks so much!

• Georgia Boanoro

May 31, 2018 at 7:58 am

Great tips! My favourite places to go with my kid anytime are the local library, theatre and cinema!

• Alison Rost

May 31, 2018 at 8:41 am

It’s really nice to be able to make the most out of the summer! Especially with the kids. I love your suggestions and tips on how to maximize the summer vacation. You don’t even have to spend a lot to make it memorable!

1. lifewithtwinsplus2

May 31, 2018 at 11:33 am

Exactly! It doesn’t have to be fancy and elaborate, to still make it memorable.

• theweekendfox

May 31, 2018 at 12:20 pm

Summertime seems so wonderful, but still tricky for parents! I’m not a momma yet, but I love the idea of a weekly/daily schedule. I know I’ll be taking my niece to some summer movies!

• queenofasianfoods

May 31, 2018 at 12:21 pm

Love this! All your tips are so good thanks!

• ninalehan21

May 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm

yay !!!!!! it is summer time. thank you for sharing these great tips and suggestions

• kara

May 31, 2018 at 5:36 pm

Summer is my favorite! I have a few friends who would love this post!

• Holly Hood

May 31, 2018 at 5:39 pm

Summer is my fav season. Summer is so special with kids to adventure with. You shared some great tips.

• Tia M.

May 31, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Our summers are always crazy! We get our daughters for 4 weeks this summer. 2 weeks in june and 2 weeks in august. the crappy part is me and my husband both work. Thanks for the tips. I will work these in where I can!

• Sara Welch

May 31, 2018 at 9:56 pm

I cannot wait to get outside more. The summer time is my favorite time.

• Living Life Our Way

May 31, 2018 at 11:24 pm

I think you guys break for summer earlier than over here in the UK? We home ed anyway but schools dont finish until end July. Love the ideas though! X

• Julie Hoag

June 1, 2018 at 4:20 am

Great Ideas! I love having my 3 boys home for the summer, though it is definitely harder to get writing and work done for my blog. Thanks for the tips! I need help sometimes in getting it all organized!

• Kaella

June 1, 2018 at 10:31 pm

We homeschool until the start of the next school year so my daughter will be occupied with continuing her school work for half the day over the summer. I do love the idea of a different theme everyday which I will definitely use for occupying her when she is done her school work for the day.